18 °C / 65 F
Like a local
Lisbon is not only the capital, but it is also a multi-time record holder. This is where Europe’s longest bridge is, this is where Iberia’s largest river is and the city’s football fans are said to be the most, size-wise at least.
1.Belém Tower: Did you know that the most well-known symbol of Lisbon used to function as a jail?
2. São Jorge Castle: This monumental castle towers above the city with vast history amongst its walls and with majestic towers.
3. Lisbon Cathedral: This mixed-styled construction has been around since the 12th century, making it Lisbon’s oldest.
4. Padrão dos Descobrimentos : As it were the Portuguese that begin discovering the world it is only fair to have a statue dedicated to that deed in the capital
5. Vasco da Gama Bridge: The longest bridge of Europe is truly a sight to behold
6. Lisbon trams: These cute, yellow tramcars are almost as essential icons of the city as the Belém Tower. Hop on one of these and journey like a local
7. Praça do Comércio: Considered to be Lisbon’s main square, the Praca do Comercio with the Tagus in the background is a perfect spot for snapping tourist photos
8. Estádio da Luz: The official football stadium of S.L Benfica and it has amongst many witnessed the national team meet Greece in EURO 2004
9.Lisbon Zoo: Get in a cable car, grab some snacks and check the gorgeous Lisbon Zoo out from above.
10. Lisbon Oceanarium: Lots and lots of sea animals in a beautiful, modern building. It sounds like a perfect recipe for a great family outing in Lisbon.
Good to know:
Dial code: +351
Transportation: Lisbon Portela Airport
When? / How long?: Apart from a little rain in winter, Portugal’s climate is fairly mild all year around making Lisbon a perfect destination for both a weekend getaway and a week-long vacation.